Who is second England cricketer caught up in racism storm after Ollie Robinson suspended over social media shame? - Godz
Connect with us

Sports

Who is second England cricketer caught up in racism storm after Ollie Robinson suspended over social media shame?

Published

on

MYSTERY surrounds the second England cricketer caught up in a racism storm.

Ollie Robinson was suspended from all international cricket on Sunday while an investigation into racist and sexist tweets from 2012 and 2013 takes place.

Getty

A second England cricketer has been caught up in a racism storm[/caption]

He could be replaced in the squad by Craig Overton, who in 2015 was reported for telling former Sussex batsman Ashar Zaidi to ‘go back to your own f****** country’.

Overton was cleared of using racist language but found guilty of abusive language. He has since played four Tests.

But on Monday night, news of another player’s previous social media comments broke.

Who is the second England cricketer?

It is not yet known who the second player is.

The ECB have not revealed his identity at this stage.

What did the second player say in his tweet?

The player is believed to have written ‘#ch**ky’ on Twitter.

He was under the age of 16 at the time it was posted.

His tweet was dug up by Wisden.com on Monday.

What have the ECB said in response?

The ECB made a comment on the incident on Monday evening.

An England spokesperson said: “It has been brought to our attention that an England player has posted historic offensive material on their social media account.

“We are looking into it and will make a further comment in due course.”

What did Ollie Robinson say in his tweets?

Robinson posted a series of revolting tweets at the age of 18, which resurfaced on his first day as an England player on Wednesday, June 2.

In 2012, Robinson tweeted using the n-word and another post said: “My new muslim friend is the bomb #wheeyyyyy.”

There were also sexist comments about ‘females who play video games actually tend to have more sex’.

He has been suspended until the conclusion of the investigation.

PA

Ollie Robinson has been banned from all international cricket for racist and sexist tweets[/caption]

What did Ollie Robinson say in his apology?

Robinson, 27, faces disciplinary action after being forced to apologise.

He insisted he did not realise the posts were still on his timeline, but reiterated he is not ‘racist or sexist‘.

Part of the lengthy apology said: “On the biggest day of my career so far, I am embarrassed by the racist and sexist tweets that I posted over eight years ago which have today become public.

“I want to make it clear that I’m not racist and I’m not sexist. I deeply regret my actions and I am ashamed of making such remarks.”

What did Boris Johnson say after Robinson was banned?

The PM stated the Robinson ban is ‘over the top’ and backed Cabinet minister Oliver Downden’s calls for the all-rounder to be reinstated.

Wading into the row today, Mr Dowden said: “Ollie Robinson’s tweets were offensive and wrong. They are also a decade old and written by a teenager.

“The teenager is now a man and has rightly apologised. The ECB has gone over the top by suspending him and should think again.”

Boris Johnson backed his calls for a rethink.

His spokesman said: ‘The PM is supportive of comments from Oliver Dowden that he made via tweet this morning. 

“These were comments made more than a decade ago, written by someone as a teenager, and for which they rightly apologise.”

Sports

Derby winner Adayar set for King George at Ascot as ‘signs are good’ following surreal win at Epsom

Published

on

By

DERBY hero Adayar will skip the Irish equivalent for a likely tilt at the King George at Ascot.

Charlie Appleby reports his ace to have come out of the Epsom classic in tip-top shape after a ‘surreal’ win.

AP

Kirby was ‘jocked-off’ John Leeper just 72 hours before the Derby[/caption]

AP

Adayar beat 50-1 shot Mojo Star into second[/caption]

The 16-1 winner provided jockey Adam Kirby with an emotional career highlight and a second Derby win for Appleby.

The Newmarket trainer said: “Adayar has come out of the race great. He went on the seawalker yesterday morning and he has been out for a jog this morning and has been turned out in the paddock and he has shown his wellness. All signs are good so far. 

“Without rubber stamping anything the discussions that are taking place at the moment are that we will give this horse a bit more time and look towards going to a King George with him. 

“I think timing-wise it suits him and also we will have tested our mettle a bit against the older horses.

DOWNLOAD THE NEW SUN RACING APP NOW

The ultimate home for all your racing needs.

Number one for tips, betting offers and news – as well as full racecards and an interactive results and odds comparison service.

Download from the App store – HERE

Download on Android – HERE

“After that we can see what he is like against the older horses there and if he happens to win a King George we can work back from an Arc. If he gets beat in a King George then we revert back to our original plan which was going down the St Leger route. 

“I think, personally, looking from the outside having won neither race, I would rather pinpoint one as we all know in the autumn it is a big ask to do a St Leger then an Arc.”

Appleby was still pinching himself that Adayar landed the stable’s second Derby in recent seasons.

He added: “When I watched Masar win I stood in the same position under the grandstand and unfortunately the television went off so I had to switch and watch on the television across the track. At the time I still had my eye on Hurricane Lane as William Buick had made his move, which I thought was a winning move and I took my eye of Adayar.

“It wasn’t until I picked up the race commentary that Adayar had skipped probably a length and a half clear and once he had done that I was confident he would put it to bed as the one thing he was always going to do was gallop strongly to the line. 

“The one thing that surprised us all, and to this day it still surprises me, is that acceleration that he showed. It’s been well documented about Adam’s ride and the gap that he had to take – it was very much a brave man’s route but he had a brave horse underneath him.

“To have trained two Derby winners is of course surreal.”

FREE BETS GET OVER £2,000 IN SIGN UP OFFERS HERE

Commercial content notice: Taking one of the bookmaker offers featured in this article may result in a payment to The Sun. 18+. T&Cs apply. Begambleaware.org


Remember to gamble responsibly

A responsible gambler is someone who:

  • Establishes time and monetary limits before playing
  • Only gambles with money they can afford to lose
  • Never chase their losses
  • Doesn’t gamble if they’re upset, angry or depressed
  • Gamcare – www.gamcare.org.uk
  • Gamble Aware – www.begambleaware.org

Continue Reading

Sports

Why Brazil stars like Neymar should boycott Copa America in coronavirus protest at fixture chaos

Published

on

By

The answer will not come until late Tuesday night – the early hours of Wednesday morning UK time – after the final whistle has blown on their World Cup qualifier away to Paraguay.

Then, Brazil’s players will issue a statement on the Copa America, which is set to kick off in their country on Sunday.

AFP

Brazil’s stars will reveal later today if they are going to pull out of the Copa America[/caption]

There is no doubt that they are unhappy that Brazil has stepped in at the last minute to host the tournament.

Discontent is rife both about the decision and by the way it was handled – like the rest of us, they heard about it via social media last Monday.

The players have two options – either they play the competition under protest, or they boycott the thing.

The second option has the potential to torpedo the entire competition. With less than five days to go before the kick off it would leave the hosts without a team or a coach – boss Tite seems solidly behind the players in any decision they take.

And it would almost certainly lead to the withdrawal of big name stars in other national teams.

Last Friday sources close to the team were suggesting that the players would take the historic decision to boycott the Copa.

By Monday the position appeared to have changed, with almost all sources predicting with confidence that the players will reluctantly take part in the competition.

There are plenty of reasons for their discontent.

Rex

Brazil is set to host the Copa America, which begins on Friday[/caption]

AFP

At the last Copa America in 2019 Brazil were victorious[/caption]

The obvious one is the coronavirus pandemic, which forced Argentina to pull out as host at the end of May.

The virus has now claimed more than 470,000 lives in Brazil, the death toll is going up at more than 1500 a day and the gruesome half a million mark will certainly be reached during the tournament.

Local specialists and the World Health Organisation are advising that it would be better if the Copa did not go ahead.

It is true that domestic football is being played in Brazil – and may well be true that this presents a greater health risk than the Copa.

But things brings us to the next point – is it worthwhile to run the risk presented by the Copa? Does the competition have enough sporting merit to go ahead?

On this point the players would seem to be convinced that it does not – indeed, the European based stars (the vast majority of the squad) are casting doubts on whether it is worthwhile giving up their holidays to take part in such a tournament.

This is an extra Copa – squeezed in, ironically enough, to take advantage of a shift from odd years to even.

The Copa has been held every four years – 2007, 11, 15 and 19 – with another extra one in 2016 to celebrate its centenary.

AFP

The mayor of Rio de Janeiro Eduardo Paes revealed he would cancel Copa America football fixtures planned in the city if the COVID-19 pandemic worsened[/caption]

This extra Copa, originally planned for 2020, was going to be staged in two countries – Argentina and Colombia.

This explains the format – two groups of five. And the ludicrous aspect of the format – a group phase that stretches for more than two weeks, only to eliminate the bottom team of each group.

The final week of the competition, from the quarter finals onwards, will be exciting. Up until then the Copa will be a drag.

The players recognise a key defect in all of this – because of the pandemic South America is well behind in its World Cup qualifiers.

Tuesday’s is the sixth round of eighteen. Twelve more rounds have to be crammed in before the end of March.

Even with an additional set of FIFA dates being made available at the end of January, it is still not clear how this can be done.

There is space for five double headers – ten games. And twelve games to play. 

A possible solution is to try and squeeze three games into a couple of the FIFA dates. This is happening in Europe.

Rex

Will Neymar be one of many Brazil stars boycotting the Copa America?[/caption]

In South America the distances involved make this much more problematic. The common sense solution, then, would be to use the next couple of weeks to catch up with the qualifiers.

It would probably be best if the players dug in their heels to make this point, using their influence to force the adoption of a more rational calendar.

At the moment, though, it seems more likely that they will agree to play the Copa under protest – a gesture that might be forgotten all too quickly.

Continue Reading

Sports

Erling Haaland next club: Chelsea odds slashed with fresh transfer talks underway, Man Utd, City & Liverpool trail

Published

on

By

CHELSEA are the standout favourites to sign Borussia Dortmund talent Erling Haaland, according to bookmakers Betfair.

The Blues have prioritised the signing of a centre-forward this summer with Romelu Lukaku and Tottenham’s Harry Kane also on their radar.

GETTY

Chelsea lead Manchester City in the race to sign Erling Haaland, say Betfair[/caption]

BETFAIR – GET £20 FREE BETS*

But Haaland, 20, is their No.1 target and it’s not difficult to see why.

The Norwegian scored 41 goals and provided 12 assists in 41 appearances for Dortmund.

He also finished as the top scorer in the Champions League and was crowned Bundesliga Player of the Year award ahead of Robert Lewandowski.

The Telegraph claim that work is already underway to bring Haaland to Stamford Bridge with Chelsea prepared to offer Tammy Abraham as part of a deal.

It’s unclear whether or not Chelsea have submitted an official offer for Haaland, who is expected to cost upwards of £150million.

Chelsea were previously offered at 6/1 to clinch Haaland’s signature with Betfair.


Erling Haaland next club odds – Betfair

  • Chelsea – 7/4 – Was 6/1
  • Manchester City – 3/1
  • Real Madrid – 5/1
  • Barcelona – 8/1
  • Manchester United – 9/1
  • Bayern Munich – 10/1
  • Juventus – 14/1
  • Liverpool – 20/1
  • BETFAIR – BET £5 GET £20*

But the bookies have now adjusted their betting market and installed the West London outfit as stand-alone favourites at 7/4.

Manchester City are their closest challengers at 3/1.

The Citizens are looking to replace Sergio Aguero, who joined Barcelona on a free transfer, but Kane appears to be their priority.

WIN £50,000 with Dream Team Euros

Dream Team Euros is HERE!

The best fantasy football game to accompany Euro 2020 has arrived.

And you can play absolutely FREE for your chance to win the £50,000 jackpot.

CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR FREE!

Dream Team Euros

  • £50,000 jackpot
  • The best fantasy football game this summer
  • Play in mini-leagues against your mates, colleagues, family members – and some hand-picked celebrities
  • FREE to play

Spanish heavyweights Real Madrid and Barcelona are next in the market at 5/1 and 8/1 respectively – although their financial muscle is in question.

Manchester United are priced at 9/1 with Bundesliga champions available at 10/1 as they seek a long-term replacement for Lewandowski, 32.

Juventus and Liverpool complete the eight-runner field at 14s and 20s.

BBC Sport pundit Micah Richards thinks Chelsea would be a ‘scary proposition’ for any side with Haaland added to they ranks.

He recently said: “I think they’ve got absolutely everything. They’ve sorted their defensive problems.

“The only thing to add that little bit of icing to the cake would be a striker. They’ve put Werner in there, they’ve put Havertz in there.

“It seems like they’ve not really cracked that offensive aspect of the game. I’m not going to speculate. If you put Haaland in this team, they’ll be scary next season.”



SEE OVER £2000 IN FREE BETS HERE


Commercial content notice: Taking one of the bookmaker offers featured in this article may result in a payment to The Sun. 18+. T&Cs apply. Begambleaware.org


Remember to gamble responsibly

A responsible gambler is someone who:

  • Establishes time and monetary limits before playing
  • Only gambles with money they can afford to lose
  • Never chase their losses
  • Doesn’t gamble if they’re upset, angry or depressed
  • Gamcare – www.gamcare.org.uk
  • Gamble Aware – www.begambleaware.org

*Min £5 bet on the SBK, min odds 1.5 (1/2). Rewards valid for 7 days. Free bets must be placed at min odds of 1.5 (1/2). Exchange free bet limited to certain markets. Payment restrictions apply. T&Cs apply 18+ Begambleaware.org


Continue Reading

Entertainment

Tech

Trending